We meticulously test and assess everything we review. Learn more about why you can trust us.

How Affordable Living in Houston is (2022)

How Affordable Living in Houston is (2022)

As the greenest city in the south of Texas and a sprawling metropolitan area full of life and diversity, Houston really can be the place to be.

It ranks as the 31st most livable city in the world, according to the 2021 Livability Index of The Economist. It has moved the most spots in the past 6 months because of its economic stability, culture, environment, education, healthcare, and infrastructures.

However, going to Houston for a vacation isn’t the same as deciding to move into the city.

So, if you’re wondering how affordable Houston is, let’s discuss a few things that may affect your way of life, should you decide to stay.

Rental Cost

Given that more people have moved to Houston now more than ever, the most common lodging option is rental space.

As per the average costing of Best Places, here are the average rates for common occupancies:

  • Studio rentals cost roughly $700 – $900 per month.
  • 1 Bedroom rentals cost roughly $800 – $1000 per month.
  • 2 Bedroom rentals cost roughly $1000 – $1200 per month.
  • 3 Bedroom rentals cost roughly $1400 – $1600 per month.
  • 4 Bedroom rentals cost roughly $1800 – $2000 per month.

Rates per area

The cheapest areas in Houston include Pasadena, Deer Park, La Porte, Aldine, Humble, Spring, Jersey Village, Channelview, Highlands, and Barrett. Average cost areas are downtown Houston, Missouri city, Seabrook, Tomball, and Manvel.

There are also a few elite neighborhoods, namely Rice, Memorial, Hyde Park, Boulevard Oaks, Woodlake, University Place, River Oaks, Uptown Galleria, and Piney Point Village. Some of which are in close proximity to tourist spots and museums.

However, livability still ranks as the top consideration when it comes to overall affordability. That said, our top neighborhood picks for affordability include Woodlands, Sugarland, Katy, Clear Lake, League City, Richmond, Kingwood, Humble, and Stafford.

Transportation Cost

The cost of living in Houston is within and pretty much below the national average. But, when we factor in transportation, we aren’t given much of a bargain.

Public transportation in Houston, despite its upgrades, could not accommodate the urban sprawl and worsening city traffic. While it is affordable, with options for persons with disabilities, it doesn’t offer the convenience it promises.

This is why some Houstonians consider getting a private car for their families. Still, the rising gasoline prices and city traffic leaves people with the struggle, but not much of a choice.

Overall Cost

According to the Houston Org, the cost of housing in the city is 8% below the national average, ranking it as the 2nd most affordable metro spot in the US. Compared to the rest of the top 20 most populous areas to live in, Houston costs roughly 50% less. 

It is 5% cheaper than Dallas and 19% cheaper than Austin. Furthermore, the living costs here are cheaper than New York by 94% and San Francisco by 170%.

As per the housing index, over 70% consist of homeowners while the rest of the 30% consist of apartment rental occupancies.

With all that said, we recommend you weigh your options before moving into the city.

Related topics